Willis specializes in structuring insurance products to mitigate the risks of trading with, or investing in, volatile emerging markets. Due to a combination of government actions, ineffective legal systems, war and revolution and shortages of hard currency, such risks are being looked at more closely than ever. The crises in Latin America, the former Soviet Union and South East Asia in recent years have focused attention on the need for adequate risk mitigants when dealing with these types of areas.
We can advise, arrange and syndicate policies to protect against risks including:
- sovereign borrower default
- exchange transfer controls
- corporate default
- license cancellation.
Typical beneficiaries of our solutions include:
- equity investors in emerging markets, particularly in the infrastructure sector
- corporates buying or selling in these markets, including capital goods exporters, commodity traders and major corporations
- leasing companies leasing equipment to these countries over long periods
- banks involved in trade finance, export finance and project finance in emerging markets.
Willis has operated a full political risks capability since 1979. We are the market leaders in this specialty and are renowned for creating innovative products to manage the risks inherent in dealing with emerging markets.